The world is evolving rapidly. Its landscape is becoming more and more modern. Its people and their needs have evolved, too. The only way to keep up is to adapt and evolve with the changes. One thing has remained constant, though. The youth remains the hope of the future generation. The world will, therefore, have to equip its youth with the right tools to ensure their success. With today’s technology, education can reach greater heights. Unfortunately, not all countries are able to afford the same level of technology that the modern world has to offer. Nevertheless, countries are doing the best they can to utilize what they have and provide the quality education that the youth deserves. This article lists down some of the global initiatives to strengthen education through technology.
- ALISON is an online platform founded in Galway, Ireland that aims to provide education and skills training anywhere, anytime, at no cost. It offers courses on various subjects, including technology, language, health, math, humanities, marketing, science, business, and lifestyle.
- BRCK is a software company in East Africa that provides internet and other connectivity software and hardware to areas in Africa. They have recently focused on education as their target for improvement.
- Bridge is an education provider that delivers quality and evidence-based education to students across Africa and India. They use technology to streamline the teachers’ administrative tasks and analyze student data for better lesson customization and delivery.
- EkStep is an open learning online platform created for Indian students to provide learning resources in literacy and numeracy. Aside from being a content repository, it also analyzes user data and creates models based on learner analysis.
- Enuma is composed of a team of engineers and app developers who produce apps to facilitate fun and interactive education for early learners through mobile technology.
- Kolibri is an offline platform made by the Foundation of Learning Equality (FLE) to provide quality education even for students who do not have regular access to a stable internet source.
- Geekie is an online learning management system in Brazil that houses lesson materials in various forms. It is also supplemented by a mobile app called Geekie games, which provides game-based learning. Aside from being a content repository, Geekie is also capable of real-time evaluation and analysis to enable adaptive learning solutions for educators.
- Inable is a non-government organization in Kenya that uses innovative technology to provide value education to the visually impaired.
- UoPeople or University of the People is an online university that provides tuition-free education to financially challenged students who aim to have an accredited degree.
- Ubongo is a non-profit organization that hosts an education platform for underprivileged students in Africa. It houses interactive and educational cartoons to provide a fun learning environment for its users.
- EduAdvisor is a company based in Malaysia that specializes in career advising. This online platform provides guidance on college courses, universities, scholarships, and application requirements.
- Ruanguru is a mobile application for Indonesian students that aims to aid students in studying for examinations through in-app learning materials and quizzes and by allowing students to interact and form study group chats online to facilitate collaborative learning.
The initiatives to improve education through technology all over the world is growing. More and more people become agents of change. Through the help of concerned citizens, the youth will be able to overcome the challenge of having limited resources. If the technology will be utilized to overcome the barriers of distance, time, disconnection, and poverty, our learners will be able to receive the quality education that they yearn for and deserve. With these global initiatives, youth will ensure a better future for the generations to come.